The Royal Military College, Canada, is a degree-granting university that trains military and non-military officers and is located in Ontario, Canada. The institution was established in 1876 and empowered by the Royal Military College of Canada Degrees Act of 1959 to award degrees in science, arts, and engineering programs.
The programs are offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels, both on campus and through online or distance learning. The college accepts both Canadian students and international students from across the world; this page will enlighten you about the Royal Military College admission requirements, courses, tuition fees for international students, and so on.
The Royal Military College is also commonly known as RMC. It mainly prepares officer cadets for a career in the profession of arms. In addition, it continues the training and development of other Canadian Armed Forces members and civilians interested in defense matters.
A Little History, Facts, and Location About the Royal Military College of Canada
The Royal Military College of Canada, often referred to as (RMC), is the Canadian Armed Forces military college. RMC was established in 1874 and conducted its first classes on June 1, 1876. However, in 1959, it became a degree-awarding university, training military officers.
RMC is the only federal institution in Canada with the authority to award degrees. The Government of Ontario empowered the college to confer degrees in arts, science, and engineering through The Royal Military College of Canada Degrees Act 1959.
RMC is a federally designated learning institution operated by the Department of National Defence with a prominent university character. Programs are offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels on campus and through the college’s distance learning program through the Division of Continuing Studies.
The Royal Military College is located on Point Frederick, a 41-hectare (101-acre) peninsula in Kingston, Ontario. The college is a mix of historic buildings and more modern academic, athletic, and dormitory facilities.
By this, RMC provides programs and courses of higher education and professional development to meet the needs of the Canadian Armed Forces and the Department of National Defence.
Royal Military College Courses For International Students
The Royal Military College trains, develops, and educates officer cadets and civilians in leadership careers. It offers about 19 undergraduate programs and 34 graduate studies opportunities, including 14 doctorates in Arts, Science, and Engineering.
Below is a list of the courses provided by RMC:
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemistry & Chemical Engineering
- English, History, or French
- History, Politics, and Economics
- Military and Strategic Studies
- Business Administration
- Military Psychology and Leadership
- Computer Science
- Space Science
- Land Force Technical Staff Programme (LFTSP)
- Army Technical Warrant Officer’s Programme
- Continuing Studies
- Graduate Studies
Note: The graduate studies programs at the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) are open to Officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces, Regular and Reserves, and civilians who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
Royal Military College Admission Requirements For International Students
Below are the admission requirements for international students at the Royal Military College Canada.
Here we have courses like
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Military Arts and Science
- Certificate in Management with Applications to Defence
To be eligible for admission, you must
- Be a spouse of a member of the CAF.
- Serving member of the CAF
- Honorably released member of the CAF under items 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 2a or 2b, 5d,5e,5f.
- Be an employee of the Department of National Defence
General admission requirements
- Candidates must have to submit proof of their ability to study in the language in which the programs have been offered
- Applicants whose language is not English or French will have to obtain a minimum score from the below test: 1) Test of English as a Foreign Language: the admission score to be obtained here is 600, 2) International English language Testing System: The admission score here is 8. 3) Michigan English Language Assessment Battery: The admission score here is 85
- The candidates must sign a document indicating they understand the academic regulations.
To be eligible for the graduate studies masters program, you must
- Hold an honors degree from a recognized university
- Have at least a ‘B’ in the field with which you are pursuing.
- Candidates applying for Engineering or applied science must also have a ‘B’
To be eligible for the Doctoral program (Ph.D.) admission, you must have
- a masters degree
- sponsored approval
- successful completion of a transfer examination
- at least one full calendar year of full-time enrollment
General Academic Prerequisite
- have a grade 12 high school diploma
- Possess academic standards
- Meet the conditions for admission
Facts About RMC
- Type of University Public
- Programs 67
- Faculty Members 300-499
- Number of Undergraduate Seats 1,160 full-time; 990 part-time
- Number of Postgraduate Seats 300
- Basic Tuition Fee, Undergraduate International Students 5,000-7,500 US$
- Basic Tuition Fee, Postgraduate International Students 7,500-10,000 US$
- Languages for Courses French, English
Website – https://www.rmc-cmr.ca/
To apply, you will need to submit your application along with the following documents:
- Study Permit
- Letter of permission from your current institution, and
- If applicable, a transcript showing proof of completion of prerequisites for the RMC course you wish to take.
English Language Requirements
- Test Scores Accepted GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS, and GRE
- Score Required for Graduates TOEFL-75, IELTS-5
How To Apply To Royal Military College
If you intend to become an Applicant, and also if you are an international student interested in applying to RMC for the ROTP, you must apply online on the official website by Selecting the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) on the enrollment application form.
- Visit the official website of IRCC and click on Apply now.
- After that, fill out the RMC Application form for Admission for Undergraduate Studies (sections 1 and 2 only)
- and pay the application fee.
What is the Financial implication of studying at the Royal Military College of Canada?
To continue your application, you must show proof of finance as you apply for your student visa. The tuition fees charged by RMC vary from course to course and on the place of residence of the student. These, however, are determined by the level and type of study.
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Course’s tuition fees
The fees for undergraduate and postgraduate courses range and depend on different categories, as listed below. Note that these are approximated fees. Additional fees may apply following your choice of study program.
Category Undergraduate fee Postgraduate fee
- Canadian students 1,000-2,500 US$ 2,500-5,000 US$
- International Students 5,000-7,500 US$ 7,500-10,000 US$
Royal Military College Tuition
Tuition fees as of 2014–15 sessions at the undergraduate level vary between $2,780 – $3,710 for Canadian undergraduate students and $2,780 – $3,165 for Canadian Graduate students.
The tuition fees for international students vary from $8,750 – $9,000 for undergraduate students and $6,200 – $6,700 for graduate students.
The lower tuition amounts are for the arts and sciences programs, while the higher amounts are for the engineering programs.
Royal Military College Tuition Fees For International Students
For international undergraduate and graduate students, tuition fees vary from $8,750 – $9,000 and $6,200 – $6,700, respectively.
The lower tuition fees are mainly for the arts and sciences programs, while the higher amounts are primarily for engineering courses.
In addition to tuition fees, universities generally charge fees for goods and services supplied to students. This includes areas such as student associations, sports, and health.
These additional fees vary widely per university and student and can run from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.
Scholarships at RMC
Every year, students who compete and are successful receive millions of dollars for research from several different scholarship-granting agencies.
- The Royal Canadian Naval College Class of ’46 Scholarship
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Scholarships
- Defense Research and Development Canada
- War Studies Scholarship
- Security and Defence Management and Policy Scholarship
- The High-Performance Computing Virtual Laboratory (HPCVL) Scholarship
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Competition
- Ontario Trillium Scholarships
- The Royal Kingston United Services Institute Scholarship
Bursaries at RMC
- Milton Fowler Gregg V.C Memorial Trust Fund Bursary
Prizes and Awards at RMC
- The Governor General’s Gold Medal
- Barry D. Hunt Prize
- Canadian Forces Logistics Branch Medal of Academic Excellence in the MBA Programme
- The G.L. Pickard Prize in Acoustics and Oceanography
- Colonel Geoff Parker Memorial Award
- These scholarships subsidize successful candidates and their study programs at RMC. No application is required for a scholarship; the scholarship is often renewable.
- The scholarship caters to the cost of tuition, books, and all other necessities needed to complete the degree, also, implements are provided at the undergraduate level by the Government of Canada towards completing the program.
- Officer Cadets are also paid a salary while attending RMC.
RMC Ranking by Centre for World University Ranking
- Institution Name Royal Military College of Canada
- Location Canada
- World Rank 1752
- National Rank 39
- Quality of Education Rank –
- Alumni Employment Rank 1125
- Quality of Faculty Rank –
- Research Performance Rank 1698
- Overall Score 66.7
- Domain rmc-cmr.ca
Work While You Study At RMC
At RMC, you will also have the opportunity to take advantage of the Work-Study Program, which is an on-campus employment opportunity for students who demonstrate financial need. This pays $12 per hour. However, students in the program work under the supervision of a faculty or staff member.
Listed below are the requirement for the Work Study Bursary Program:
- You will Complete the work-study application to be enrolled in this program.
- To qualify, you must have an excellent academic standing
- and prove that you need the financial need
- to be available to work 10-15 hours each week.
- You will already have a valid Social Identification Number (SIN).
- Fall Session: July 31
- Winter session: November 1
- Spring Session: March 30