To enter most countries for adventure and sightseeing purposes, you must hold valid travel documents. Without these documents, you may be unable to book a flight, to say nothing of crossing at the port of entry. In view of this, we’ll answer the question, what is a tourist visa? Moreover, this article will let you know various aspects of getting a tourist visa for any country.
A tourist visa is a stamp or sticker that officially authorizes a foreigner to enter a country for sightseeing purposes. It is the most common type of visa that foreigners want to get. However, it comes with a few restrictions, such as not allowing you to study, work, or do business.
Tourist visas for most countries can be applied for online or by visiting its embassy or consulate. They are ideal for short stays, ranging from 30 days to one year.
What Do You Need To Get a Tourist Visa?
To obtain a tourist visa for any country, you must provide the following document to the diplomatic mission:
- Passport valid for at least three months from the application date
- A filled-out visa application form
- Passport-size photos (Number varies, depending on the country’s diplomatic mission)
- Proof of financial ability, like your recent bank statements
- Letter of invitation (Required if you have a host in that country)
- Evidence of prepaid accommodation, such as hotel reservation
- Return flight ticket for the trip
- Valid travel insurance
- Proof of visa fee payment
- Birth certificate, marriage certificate, or any other recognized civil document
- Alongside other documents required by the embassy or consulate.
Related Post: Schengen Tourist Visa: Eligibility, Requirements, Fees, and Application.
How Long Is a Tourist Visa Valid?
A tourist visa is typically valid for 30 days and may be issued for a year. The duration, however, varies from country to country. While some tourist visas allow entry only once (single entry visa), others offer multiple entries to its holder.
How Long Does It Take a Tourist Visa to Get Approval?
A tourist visa application will take at most two weeks to process. However, it could take longer than that, depending on the diplomatic mission, number of applicants over the period, etc.
How Do I Get a Tourist Visa?
Getting a tourist visa for any country is straightforward when you follow the steps below:
- Locate the country’s nearest embassy or consulate
Considering that you must apply for your visa through a diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate), you should find the nearest one. Afterward, apply for your visa, book an appointment, and ensure to make all necessary inquiries.
If you intend to get a sightseeing experience in Canada, you can start an online application for your visa.
- Gather your application supporting documents
Your tourist visa application requires some documentation before it can undergo processing at the embassy. Check the above for the list of these documents. If any of them is in your native language, translate them based on the embassy’s criteria.
While some diplomatic mission requires the fee before your visa appointment, others will demand for it the same day.
- Attend your visa interview
At this time, you’ll have to visit the embassy for your visa interview, holding all the required documents. Be prepared to ask a few questions, such as your reason for visiting and more.