There is no exemption to getting a visa to study in Canada. Hence, you must obtain a student visa before leaving your country. If you’re clueless about how to apply for a Canadian student visa, this article will walk you through the online application process.
To apply online for a Canadian student visa, take the following steps one after the other:
- Apply to a Canadian college or university to receive an acceptance letter upon admission.
- Gather your supporting documents for the visa. (See below for the list.)
- Register for an account or sign in to the IRCC Portal
- Pay your visa fees via the portal
- Submit your application online.
However, you can get your study permit faster by applying for Canada Student Direct Stream (SDS), provided you’re a legal resident of one of the eligible countries.
How Long Does It Take a Canadian Student Visa to be Approved?
Processing times vary for student permit applications to Canada. It typically varies depending on whether you applied from within or outside Canada.
While applications from your home country will take at most seven weeks to process, your study permit processing will take up to eight weeks if you applied from inside Canada.
Note that the processing might take a little longer if you had to submit biometrics (photo and fingerprints) to support your application.
Is Canada Giving Student Visa Easily Now?
No, getting a Canadian student visa is rapidly becoming competitive due to the high number of applicants. There is housing shortage for students in Canada, leading to study visa rejections to reduce the entry of new international students.
Despite this, Canada remains one of the most preferred study destinations.
What are the Requirements for a Student Visa in Canada?
Here’s a list of the documents required to get a student visa to Canada:
- A filled-out Canadian study permit application form
- Proof of acceptance, such as the original or electronic copy of your acceptance letter
- A valid passport or travel document
- Two passport-size photos. You’ll have to write your name and date of birth on the back of each.
- Proof of financial support of at least C$10,000 per year, like evidence of a student/education loan, your recent bank statements, paid tuition and housing fees receipt, etc.
- Police clearance certificate
- Valid English language test, such as an IELTS or TOEFL result
- Letter of explanation describing why you chose to further your studies in Canada. It must also show that you know your responsibilities as a student.
- An attestation of issuance of your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
- Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) – Required to study in Quebec province for more than six months
- Medical exam results
- A duly completed custodian declaration form (Required by minors who want to study in Canada)
How Much Does It Cost to Apply for Student Visa in Canada?
The application fee for a Canadian student permit is C$150. If you want to renew your status as an international student in Canada, you’ll have to pay a restoration fee of C$200) and a new study permit fee of C$150).