How Long Does It Take To Become a Lawyer? – If you have decided to become a lawyer, the next question is usually how long will it takes to become one.
You surely want to know that so you can estimate how long it will take before you begin to get the benefit of your education.
The passion to practice as a lawyer and save lives should be your focus. The law brings order and peace to the world, so the load on the shoulders of lawyers to decide who to prosecute is heavy.
If they don’t build their cases well and an innocent man gets prosecuted, the scale of justice tilts towards injustice and evil roams the streets. For this reason, lawyers take as long as 7 years of education in most countries before they can practice.
Who is a Lawyer?
A lawyer is a licensed professional who advises and represents people in legal matters. The lawyer is also an attorney, counsel, or counselor.
So, whenever you hear these alternative names, you still know who is the person is referring to. To be able to represent people in legal matters, lawyers apply abstract legal theories and knowledge which they have gained from a law education.
What Does a Lawyer Do?
The movies and fictional novels will often portray lawyers as those who stand for criminals or victims of unfortunate situations.
This is not all that a lawyer does, however. In fact, it is just a kind of lawyer that defends a criminal. The criminal defense lawyer.
The main duties of a lawyer are to uphold the law and protect the client’s rights while upholding the law. In performing these main duties, a lawyer will do the following:
- Make oral arguments in courts supporting their clients.
- Research and draft court papers briefing the court on the day they will orally argue it.
- Perform advocacy roles in administrative hearings.
- Build a relationship with their clients regarding what they should do next.
- Protect the intellectual property of their clients through patents, trademarks, and industrial designs.
- Negotiate and graft contracts.
- Execute the intent of the deceased by drafting wills, trusts, and other documents to ensure the efficient disposition of a person’s property after death.
Why Study Law?
When you consider that, it takes 7yrs to become a lawyer, you begin to ask yourself why you’ve decided to take this path. Even though your passion is strong enough motivation to keep pushing, you need to refresh your mind on the reasons why you’re studying law. Most reasons people study law:
- The opportunity to help people.
- The reputation.
- Opportunity for specialization.
- The large earnings.
How Long is Law School?
Law school typically takes 3yrs to complete. But you must be wondering, why the fuss about the length of becoming a lawyer if t takes just 3yrs to complete a law school.
The thing is before you get into a law school. You must have completed a bachelor’s degree you have these days, but your degree, you have these days, but your degree should provide you with knowledge in political science, history, criminal justice, and philosophy.
Now a bachelor’s degree will take you anywhere from three to five years. Since you can’t become a lawyer until you have passed through law school, it takes seven years to complete the required education to become a lawyer.
- Online Degree Programs in Legal Studies | Tips For Newbie Businessmen, Students, And Workers
- Best Online Degree Program For Single Moms | Best Online Degrees For Mums
- Great Free Online Courses For Business Executive Assistants
- 5 Easiest Ways to Get a Permanent Residence in Canada
- Top 5 Cheapest Cities in Canada for International Students | See Here
- 10 Key Benefits Of Studying Abroad
- Harvard College Vs Harvard University
- 10 Best Medical Schools In France
- Top 7 Universities in Ireland for International Students
- How to Win Woman World Sweepstakes $1,000 Prize Award
Scholarshipmuse is NOT the official page. This is only a one-page summarized information page. While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, information may change at any time without notice. For complete and updated information, please always refer to the official website of the host/official page.