How to Apply for a US Visa – Do you want to apply for a US Visa or do you have dreams of schooling in the United States? this is for you.
We assure you that after this post, you will not be asking yourself some USA Visa frequently asked questions;
- What are the requirements for US Visa?
- How do I apply for a US Visa from Nigeria?
- Is it easy to get US Visa?
What are the steps involved in obtaining a US Visa?
I believe a lot of persons will be very interested to know how to obtain a US Visa. For you to travel to the US, a Visa is required. There are lots of people with big American dreams and aspirations but then one limitation is how to obtain a US Visa.
This article will help you with the complete step by step guide to obtaining the US Visa Application Process
Steps to Apply for a US Visa
Below are the complete steps in acquiring a US Visa but note that first of all, you ought to have applied for a US visa at the US Embassy in your country of residence. Follow the steps below;
- Examine if you need a visa.
- Select the type of U.S visa.
- Fill in the non-immigrant visa application Form.
- Pay your application fee.
- Schedule visa interview.
- Compile the document file.
- Attend the visa interview.
- Wait for processing.
1. Examine if you need a visa
Some citizens are not required to apply for a non-immigrant visa to the US. Citizens from 39 countries are members of the waiver program. The Waiver Program gives some level of privilege to persons from members counties to visit the U.S for up to 90 days for business and tourism purposes
This waiver program, created by the Department of Homeland Security to improve security for the people who visit the United States and also so that US citizens can travel to the other 39 countries freely. The 39 Visa Waiver Countries Include the following:
The 39 Visa Waiver Countries
Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan & United Kingdom.
2. Choose the visa type
This is the next step after the first to obtain a US visa application and it is to choose the type of US visa that you want to get. You have to do this carefully because US Visa differ, there aren’t all the same.
Types of US Visa
There are about 185 types of US visas, grouped into two main categories, which include Nonimmigrant visas and Immigrant visas.
Main types of US visas:
- Visitor Visas. If you’re visiting the US to reside for up to six months then the visitor’s visa is what you need to get. This visa is divided into two namely: B1 visa for business visits, B2 visas for tourism visitors.
- Students Visas. This kind of Visa is basically for academic and vocational purposes. But it depends on the institution and the program of study. The student’s visa can either be the F1 or the M1 visa. The F1 visa is for students and the M1 visa is for vocational purposes.
- Exchange Visitor Visas. This visa is for those who are into exchange programs, practical training, and employment within the United States.
- Temporary Work Visas. If your purpose of going to the United States is for a temporary job or work then this visa is perfect for you.
- Treaty Trader and Investor Visas. The Treaty Trader and Investor visas are basically for those who have treaties of business activities or commerce and navigation in the United States.
- Diplomatic and Official Visas. This type of Visa is in different categories and they include the following: The A1 visa for foreign government officials and the A2 NATO1-6 visa for foreign military personnel within the United States.
3. Fill in the visa Application Form
You will be required to fill the Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application if you are applying for a US nonimmigrant visa. The content of the form includes;
Full name, Maritally Status, Nationality, Date & Place of Birth, Address, Country, Mobile number, Emailed, Passport number, Passport book number, Family information, Education, Work, etc.
4. Pay your US visa application fee
After filling the above form, you then make payment of the visa application fees. Although, this depends on the type of visa one applies for. The fee for each type include; MRV Fee – $160, Petition Based Applicants (H, L, O, P, Q, R) – $190, E-1, E-2 & E-3 visa applicants – $205
5. Schedule a US visa interview
A US interview will be required for non-immigrants applicants between 14 and 79 years old. The interview is mandatory as such the applicant is expected to schedule an appointment with the US embassy from which he/she is applying.
6. Compile the document file
After you must have submitted the Form DS-160, submit every document required for your US visa application as evidence that you meet the requirement for the nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.
7. Attend the visa interview
The interview is the last step in the US visa application process. Make sure to be on time for the interview with your required documents. You will be asked a couple of questions about the visa you have applied for.
8. Wait for the processing
Wait for your application to be processed after the visa interview. The time of processing depends on the type of US visa you applied for but it takes a few days or months.
- Online Degree Programs in Legal Studies | Tips For Newbie Businessmen, Students, And Workers
- Best Online Degree Program For Single Moms | Best Online Degrees For Mums
- 5 Best Online Courses For Software Developers | Updated List 2021 Ranking
- 5 Great Free Online Courses For Business Executive Assistants
- 7 Top Highest Paying Health Care Jobs In The United States 2021
- Best Cities For Jobs in the Medical Field 2021 | Updated List of Cities For Jobs
- Top 6 Highest Paying IT Jobs 2021
Scholarshipmuse is NOT the official page. This is only a one-page summarized information page. While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, information may change at any time without notice. For complete and updated information, please always refer to the official website of the host/official page.